How to File a Sex Discrimination Complaint

Posted on August 10, 2012 at 2:08pm by

If you think you are a victim of gender discrimination in the workplace, you can file a workplace discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Depending on your position, you may need to file one of two different ways.

Federal Employees and Job Applicants

Within 45 days of the offense, contact a counselor at the EEOC. They might suggest solving the dispute through mediation. If that does not or cannot work, you can file a formal complaint. If the EEOC does not dismiss your claim, it must perform an investigation within 180 days. From there, you can request a hearing before an EEOC Administrative Judge, or you can allow the EEOC to decide if discrimination took place.

Everyone Else

Timelines for filing an EEOC complaint are a little more lenient here. In most situations, you have at least 180 days, unless a local agency needs to be involved, in which case you might have up to 300 days.

File a claim by visiting your local EEOC office. At this stage, you are welcome to bring your Miami employment lawyer with you to make sure you include all necessary information, dates, names and witnesses in your formal complaint. This way, you maximize your chances of a successful resolution. You can also file a claim by mailing a letter: visit the EEOC website for a list of what to include in the letter.

If you still have questions about how to file a workplace discrimination claim, please call us at 305-379-0305. The call is free, and our employment experts can tell you what to include in your complaint for the best chance of a successful resolution.

Sarelson Law FirmMiami employment attorneys

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>